Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Birthday presents

NOTE: I really don't know how people think. After more than a week, people are still searching for SPG's nude picture on the net and end up with my blog. How do I know? Take a look here. Maybe I should just put a disclaimer again.

My mom's turning 70 in mid July, and we are having a grand dinner with the relatives in Penang. Anyone got any idea what to give her as a present? I was thinking of getting an Ogawa or Osim massage chair for her, until I remembered one important factor: I don't have that much money.

To certain extent, I dread celebrating brithdays- I don't know what to give as presents. If I were attending a wedding, I could just fork out RM60-80 for ang pow and everything's settled... but not birthdays. For birthday parties, you'll need time to go shopping and match you budget with whatever you think is good for the person. It is actually slightly easier if the person's a girl since all girls like cute-cute stuff- it will be fine as long as the present's got fur on it. But for male friends, that will really test your creativity to get a good present. One of the most unusual presents I've given a guy is a bend weight bar.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Other than that, I sometimes buy books or CDs, but CDs are getting too pricey already. Another good way of buying birthday presents is, of course, to share with a couple of friends to buy something more expensive. That usually works well for persents like CDs, branded clothings, branded stuffed idiots(aka soft toys).

IMHO however, the worst birthdays to celebrate for a guy is his girlfriend's. I shall not disclose too much on that, out of the fear that my girlfriend might be reading this....(shouldn't have given her the link!) It is not that I don't like to celebrate birthdays, just that sometimes it can take up so much of your time to decide what to get.

Have you received any weird presents before? The worst one I've ever got is from this group of friends who chipped in to get me a long sleeve shirt with a sanitary pad for my 18th birthday. I liked the shirt a lot but I had to give the pad to my sister. THANKS A LOT YOU SICK PEOPLE!!!

In retrospect, this group of friends are not that close to one another anymore; Steven, Terence, Bee Yoong, Raynies, and Florence are married(Terence and Bee Yoong to each other), and Danny is engaged. That leaves me, Joyce, Selina, and Michelle who are still single(according to last update)- I hope I've not left anyone out. Wouldn't it be nice to get these 10 people to sit down for a meal again? I wonder if it can be done, maybe, on CNY next year just to see how fat everybody is?

6 comments:

Danny Chen said...

hey, at least you got a sanitary pad, still useful... for wiping spilled drinks, etc... polishing ur car, etc... terence got a really "nice" peached colored, lacy ladies underwear and i think its sizes too small for him (if he is into wearing women's underwear, that is). hehe...
ya, it would be good... to get them together but I think it is more of a dream than a reality now... I don't even know where half of them are! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Danny! Who are you engaged to now?

Danny Chen said...

Hi, my fiancee's name is Su Yin... she's from Penang... from PCC also...

btw, alvin... we really gotta find a way to get a community tag board...

shades said...

anyone wants to pay for it, Danny?

Anonymous said...

Hehe if you pay for it, I will come back for the reunion ;-p

I'm getting married 10th Sept 2005 here in the UK :-)

shades said...

community tag board lah, Adeline... not paying for reunion!