Friday, June 03, 2005

I AM UPSET

The title of the subject should give you enough warning if you don't want to read about someone's whining.

I was upset yesterday night and when I woke up today, I'm still upset. Read on if you want... if it's not that interesting, I apologize because I'm venting my anger.


For those who don't know, I've been teaching Body Combat for a year and RPM 6 months at Fitness First. Recently I also passed my Body Pump training in April.

For this group, we have head teachers for every programme who will assess a trainee before giving the green light for anyone to start teaching solo. I got my clearance from the BP head teacher in mid May and so I sent out a email to all the group fitness coordinators of the gyms requesting for pump classes.

There's this BP instructor who asked me to take his class for a day and after checking with the coordinator of the gym I agreed to take the class. Now, normally this guy gets a lot of members attending his class and personally I like his style of instructing. When I took over, I had only about 10 people in the class, which I think it was alright since IT'S MY FIRST PUMP CLASS.

Last week after class he told me he's thinking of giving up the class and wondered if I wanted it. I was cool with the whole idea. Yesterday, a member asked if I was taking the class next week onwards. Apparently he has informed the members on the Tues class he was taking a break. After checking with him, he said that he'd proposed my name to the coordinator to take the class but the coordinator said she had someone else on her mind.

I'm NOT unreasonable. So I smsed her and asked about the replacement. Later she called but I was shadowing the pump class as usual. Anyhow, I called her back after the class and she confirmed that she'd given the class to someone else due to the following reasons:


1. When I did the replacement class, the numbers were not good.

2. Apparently members are choosy about who instructs the class and there were a few negative feedbacks.

3. The person taking over is a certified instructor and she also has an earlier class at 5.45pm.

4. she did not know that I have been shadowing the class.

As a coordinator, I respect that she has EVERY right to give the class to anyone she likes. HOWEVER, I find her reasons very lame, ESPECIALLY the TOP 2 reasons. I have a few questions in my head:

1. Since when an instructor's ability is assessed through 1 single REPLACEMENT CLASS and, not to mention, HIS/HER FIRST SOLO CLASS?

2. You're giving the class to someone who finishes her class at 6.30pm and has to wait for 2 HOURS to teach pump? I FINISH MINE AT 7.30PM!!!

3. You know I've been asking for classes and I've spoken to you personally about it. Heck, even the instructor told you about me and you made your decision without talking to me. Are you going to remain quiet if I didn't sms you at all?

Mind you, when I started teaching RPM there in January, there were less than 10 people attending. Today, my class has been consistently packed. Not to sound cocky, but I know I am good.

I have also been very supportive when she asked for help. Even my gf wonders why I find it hard to say "NO" to them(the coordinators) while I could say it to her.

Next week onwards, I will be teaching RPM at this gym on monday nights, giving up my other class in another gym which is ALWAYS FULL. WHY? Because she said she couldn't find anyone to take this class which starts earlier.

I feel cheated. I feel insulted. I feel betrayed.... and yes, I am upset.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why leave the other class? Stuff her, continue your other class with ppl who appreciate you more and let her find someone else for Monday.... unless you are doing it for an ulterior motive of maybe getting her to give you more classes/ recognition with FF?

shades said...

well guys, looks like I may be back to my old class on Monday. Currently just needs the other coordinators to agree to the "arrangement" I've managed to make...