Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Lunch Time....

Normally for lunch I would have rice at seksyen 14 because I need all the carbohydrate for my evening classes. Today, I thought maybe I could go to Paramount for nasi lemak. According to my girlfriend, it's supposed to be the best nasi lemak in PJ(or something along that line).

On my way there, I just remembered that I already had nasi lemak for breakfast. So, I changed my mind and went to another kopitiam to have char koay teow instead. For a Penangite, finding good char koay teow in the Klang Valley is harder than Nicol David becoming world No. 1. Fortunately, This O & S Restaurant in Paramount happens to have one.



I went to the stall and to my disappointment...


TAK BUKA!??!!

Looks like I've got to go for alternatives, and I settled for a double wan tan mee...

better than nothing...

While I was having lunch, I just realised that there are demands for Penang food in the Klang Valley, especially in Petaling Jaya. Even in this kopitiam I noticed there are a few examples:


Notice the stall behind selling PENANG fish balls?

Sad to say, most of the so-called Penang food aren't good at all. In fact, the hawkers aren't even Penangites in the first place! Such hawkers really bring shame to Penang Food(we all know that Penang is the one and only Food Haven in Malaysia, although Kenny Sia may disagree with me). The fact that their business is doing good proves what my brother and I suspected long time ago: Klang Valley peeps have poor taste.



As I was leaving the kopitiam, I'm surprised to discover this western food owner has come up with this ingenious offering:

Would anyone eat fried sphaghetti? Does it taste like fried mee? I'm a sucker for fusion food but I think this is really stretching it...

Finally, this lady owner ought to be given an award for being the most muhibah, though I am a wee bit confused by what she is selling...

Chinese-made Indian rojak anyone???

1 comment:

Yoong Family said...

my friends & I use to look for good char kuey tiau too. we concluded the 'grand slam' places (4 best ones) were Fatty in SS3 (later moved to Puchong, now retired), O & S, Melody in State PJ, and another guy in Centrepoint (also closed for many years now.)

Peter the crazy guy in Cheow Yeang also not bad.