Friday, January 25, 2008

Penang's Most Expensive Char Koay Teow

The place to eat the most expensive char koay teow is of course Lorong Selamat.

The one most people talked about used to be right outside this kopitiam. Whwn I went to take pictures I was surprised that the stall was no longer there.


Side track a bit... the Ice Kacang used to be pretty good. Haven't tried it for ages so not sure quality still maintained or not. Anyhow, next to the Ice Kacang stall I saw this:



I reckon this is the original imitation. I remember quite well that it was a lady who does the frying. Opposite the kopitiam there's also another stall that I used to patron. The guy used to sell wan tan mee before he switch to Char Koay Teow. I think he's retired because it is his son who's running the stall now.



Then further down the road I saw a new kopitiam and right in front was a familiar stall... Not sure if patrons still have to take their own plate of Char Koay Teow or food is delivered to your table.


So there you have it.... 3 stalls for you to choose from. Which one is better? I dunno and I couldn't care less. Honestly, I have stopped eating there since they jacked up the price to a ridiculous level. There are many places in Penang to get nice Char Koay Teow without paying restaurant price. My theory is this: to survive in Penang selling Char Koay Teow, more or less your Char Koay Teow must have certain standard to make your fellow Penangites keep coming back. For eg. try the one at Penang Road cendol, or the one in Bee Hooi which I blogged about earlier.