Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fri night thoughts: Death of a BODYCOMBAT DVD presenter & Amazing Grace heard on American Idol

Tonight I went to see a comedy court production at PJLA by Allan & Indi. While waiting for the show to start, I check my FB and was surprised to discover that a fantastic BODYCOMBAT presenter Hernan Lopez just passed away.


Another harsh reminder to all that our days are numbered. So don't waste your time & energy on things that you don't have the passion for. Cherish what you have and learn to live life to the fullest. Nothing official has been mentioned about what happened, though someone said something about a fatal car accident. Regardless, I will remember him for his signature "Colgate" smile and his deliberate OTT presentation of BC40 Track 2 "I Know Kung Fu". Thanks Hernan for the memories & RIP. You will be missed.

Anyhow, coming back from the show(which I think it's a good way to relax be entertained), I almost wanted to skip tonight's American Idol repeat because it was showing at 11.45pm. Anyhow, I am so glad I didn't miss it. The highlight of tonight's show was definitely Ramiro Garcia, worship leader of Lakewood Church.


Ramiro was born missing one ear and the other one was only partially formed with just and ear lobe. His parents were told that he would grow up deaf and mute. Yet after going through numerous surgeries, Ramiro managed to woo the judges with his rendition of  "Amazing Grace(My Chains Are Gone)". What a talent! He was born to sing & lead worship in spite of his "handicap".

It makes me think about church ministries. I firmly believe that if God calls you to do something, He will surely equip you with the tools to do the job. For example, if He calls you to be an usher, you will generally be patient and very warm. Same thing for worship ministry, where we are to "Sing a new song of praise to him; play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy"(Psalms 33.3). Imagine a drummer who keeps playing out of time or a guitarist who can't strum the chords properly. While spirituality is an area we need to look at, there has to be a certain level of competency when in comes to the technical aspect. 

I like what my pastor in Penang Christian Centre say: We give God our best, and that means serving with EXCELLENCE. Why must church music be second-rated compared to secular music, right?


No comments: